3.22.2008


God created us for community. Jesus always sent the disciples out in at least pairs. And before the disciples were sent out to complete the Great Commission, they spent three entire years at the side of Christ. Eating with Him. Resting with Him. Asking questions. Learning from Him.

Thank God for college. Thank God for Northwest and the friends He's put in my life, especially my spiritual brothers. It's no wonder this world is so screwed up. We're immersed in community from a very young age in school, up through the early years of our adult life in college, some spend more time here than others :P

Then you graduate. Move out of this community you've invested so much in. Probably move in somewhere alone, unless God has graced you with your significant other. A whole new world that seems devoid of community. Now you spend the rest of your life looking for a job that suits you; statistically, you will change, not only positions, but entire career fields an average of seven times in your life.

I feel we're missing the point. This life is about PEOPLE. What makes sense about investing in relationships, building them up and then scrapping them for a piece of the "American Dream"? Absolutely nothing.

This Easter marks the first holiday I've refrained from going back to Jeff City. By far it's not the first time I've thought about not going back. I haven't heard from my dad for about two months whereas before I heard from him weekly due to a legal situation he was in.

It's weird when I think the thing I miss most about going home is the actual drive. The open road with my iPod hooked up creates the perfect soundtrack every time. Although, I think I miss having a family to go home to, to enjoy time together, not that I ever had that because I didn't. But in some way I still miss it, maybe it's a yearning instead? That's why I think I loved my dog so much, because he seemed to be the only one who was glad to see me come home.

If we're wired by God to perform our best in community, then why is it so easy for people to completely screw that up? Passivity. Selfishness. The two greatest tools Satan wields. This isn't intended to be a pity party, but an introspective look at a very real example of broken community. Cherish your family if you've been blessed with one you can be close to, because some people don't know what that feels like.

Name drop of the day: The New Frontiers

Posted by Posted by Hudson at 3:17 PM
Categories:

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the update. it hits home.
and i agree- the community at northwest is the best.

Robert Graham said...

You hit it spot on. I have no significant other and know no one down here. It's so hard to connect with people without school.

B said...

keep it coming.

B said...

I'll write about the great American Nightmare. Just let me think about it for awhile.

Story of a Girl said...

I don't know you, but when you have a family of your own one day I'm certain you will be a great leader for them. I can see that you've learned from all the bad and that will make you better. don't know if that makes sense but, i can identify.

 
>